How Do You Care For Poly Hemp, also known as Hempex and Synthetic Hemp?
- Poly Hemp is a lot easier to care for than natural hemp, it is kinder to hands than natural hemp. It is made from spun polypropylene.
- It is used on classic boats as it looks traditional without the attention that the old natural ropes needed.
- Vacuuming regularly is best, but if it is necessary, wash very gently by hand with a mild detergent, do not scrub, then rinse well.
- If you have a poly hemp mat leave it to dry naturally on a flat surface.
- Baskets can be carefully re-shaped whilst damp by placing a small bowl or ball inside and patting the sides around. then leave to dry naturally, do not tumble dry.
- Poly hemp is UV resistant and rot resistant. It is not affected by environmental conditions and it is very hard wearing.
We found out that this rope floats after our Ocean Plait Mat disappeared one night during a severe storm. Over a week later a friend returned it to us after they found it in a corner of the harbour! Luckily she recognised it ours. After a rinse it looked no worse for the journey. This particular mat is now over 10 years old and it looks fine, all that time it has been on deck in sun and rain. the only change has been that it is slightly greyer than new rope.